Learn how Diablo 4’s attack speed and breakpoints change the damage done by Whirlwind. Choose the right weapons, skills, gear, and community feedback to make your build the best it can be. and:
Table of Contents
In Diablo 4, the famous Whirlwind skill is back. It sends a hail of blades at enemies in your path, killing them all. But attack speed has become an important stat in many builds, which brings up a question: does attack speed really change how well Whirlwind works?
Understanding Whirlwind Mechanics
Whirlwind is a channeled skill that does damage every second based on a set number of ticks. In other words, unlike most attack skills, its damage isn’t directly related to how fast you hit overall. Attack speed is still very important for getting the most out of your Whirlwind build, though.
The Intricacy of Attack Speed and Breakpoints
Attack speed doesn’t change Whirlwind’s damage per tick, but it does change how fast you hit certain breakpoints. Breakpoints are levels of attack speed that cause more damage over the course of the Whirlwind effect. When you reach these breakpoints, you do a lot more damage altogether.
Weapon Attack Speed (WAS): A Hidden Factor
Weapon Attack Speed (WAS) is an important thing to think about. This stat changes your weapon’s base attack speed, which has a direct effect on how fast the Whirlwind ticks. So, picking guns with high WAS is very important for getting to breakpoints and doing the most damage possible.
Beyond Attack Speed: Other Damage Sources
Attack speed is important, but Whirlwind’s power is also affected by other things. Some of these are:
- Skill Damage Bonuses: “Rend” and “Frenzy” boost Whirlwind’s damage by giving it straight bonuses or making it attack faster.
- Critical Hit Chance and Damage: Building for critical hits can make your damage, including Whirlwind’s, go up by a lot.
- Area Damage: This stat makes it easier to deal damage to enemies close, which is useful for Whirlwind’s continuous area of effect.
Building the Perfect Whirlwind Character
A balanced method is needed to make the best Whirlwind build. Some important things to think about are:
- Weapon Choice: Look for weapons with high damage and stats that fit your build.
- Skills and Passives: Choose skills that improve Whirlwind’s damage, attack speed, or chance to land a critical hit.
- Gear and Enchantments: Look for gear that boosts attack speed, critical hits, damage done over an area, and skill damage.
Does attack speed affect Whirlwind Diablo 4?
Gear attack speed doesn’t change the tick rate of WW, but weapon APS does. This means that a 1H weapon will hit about 22% more often with WW than a 2H mace. We used white guns to test this and kept track of how many times they hit in a certain amount of time.
The Diablo 4 community has talked about and tried Whirlwind builds, which has given us useful information:
- Breakpoints are very important: When you reach attack speed breakpoints, your damage goes up by a lot. To find the best attack speed for your build, use online tools or programs.
- Attack speed isn’t the only factor: Attack speed isn’t the only thing to think about. To get the most out of your build, you should also think about other damage types, like critical hits and area damage.
- Experiment and adapt: Try new things and change things as needed. Try out different skills, gear combos, and ways of playing to find the best fit for you.
Unleash the Whirlwind’s Fury
You can make your Whirlwind build as powerful as possible in Diablo 4 by understanding the complicated link between attack speed, breakpoints, and other damage sources. Remember that trying new things and adapting are important if you want to learn this famous skill and become a powerful person.
Does attack speed directly increase the damage of Whirlwind?
No, attack speed doesn’t have a direct effect on Whirlwind’s damage per tick. However, it helps you hit certain breakpoints, which then cause extra damage ticks during the Whirlwind’s duration, greatly increasing the total amount of damage done.
What is Weapon Attack Speed (WAS) and how does it affect Whirlwind?
Weapons have a stat called WAS that changes how fast they hit at base. This changes the rate at which Whirlwind ticks, so guns with high WAS are necessary to get to breakpoints and do the most damage.
What other factors contribute to Whirlwind’s damage besides attack speed?
Whirlwind’s damage can also be increased by the following:
- Bonus damage from skills: “Rend” and “Frenzy” are two skills that can help Whirlwind do more damage or hit faster.
- Critical Hit Chance and Damage: Leveling up for critical hits greatly raises all damage, even Whirlwind’s.
- Area Damage: This stat makes the damage done to nearby foes stronger, so Whirlwind’s continuous area of effect works well with it.
How do I determine the optimal attack speed for my Whirlwind build?
Hitting attack speed breakpoints is important for getting the most damage out of Whirlwind. You can use online tools and programs to figure out what the best attack speed is for your build.
What are some tips for building a powerful Whirlwind character?
Here are some important tips:
- Pick guns that have high WAS and stats that go well with your build.
- Pick skills and passives that make Whirlwind do more damage, attack faster, or increase the chance of a critical hit.
- Pay attention to items and charms that boost attack speed, critical hit chances, area damage, and skill damage.
- Don’t forget about other ways to deal with damage, like critical hits and area damage.
- Try out different sets of skills, gear, and ways of playing until you find the one that works best for you.
What are some resources for learning more about Whirlwind builds?
You can find a lot of information about Whirlwind builds online, such as: